Monday, February 20, 2017

A Hint of Spring

February 20, 2017


#BaxtersBuzz


Happy Black History Month. How important is excellence to you? Not "Black" Excellence, but excellence on all accounts? Black History Month is important because excellence achieved by African Americans hasn't always been highlighted. Shout out to everyone striving for excellence.

Rival Watch - Who's your real competition and how do they approach their day? Many of the people we compete with (Whether they know it or not!) should actually be contributors in our mission. The friends that you grew up with aren't taking money out of your pocket because they're making a couple of dollars. There's no law that prevents everyone in your family to make money at the same time. No, they don't (necessarily) think they're better than you because their house/salary is bigger. Your loved ones typically aren't the enemy. We should be collaborating with one another, setting our sights on much higher goals. You'd be surprised who's battling similar problems and the result of you brainstorming together can propel you to levels that seemed too far fetched on your own.


Real Ish - Yes, I'm overwhelmed. I picked an occupation with high turnover and high stress (And high rewards if you're lucky). I have a soon to be 4 year old and a soon to be 1 year old. They put so much pressure on me each day. They don't care, nor should they, about what my work day looks like. They need what they need and they're my priority. Problem is: I'm human and terribly flawed. I don't always have the patience that I should. There are times when I can't hear myself think and I need a moment to myself, and it's not in the cards. My career deserves attention and time. My wife has her needs and deserves my time as well. I have personal interests like my nonprofit or my writing that I'd like more time for. Not to mention my friends and family that helps provide me with guidance to keep going and heading in the right direction. Maintaining those relationships are important to me as well. Sacrifices will have to be made. We just need to make sure that there's balance as to not completely neglect an integral relationship. All great relationships needs cultivation.

 Back to Black History - Black history is empowering. When I was young I thought our history was: Slavery, Harriet Tubman, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr and Jackie Robinson. Black people have been in this country since its inception, and in the face of slavery, oppression and media outlets stories that make us appear like inferior uneducated criminals, we've continued to positively contribute to the beautiful country.


Read more. Write more. Love more. Pray more. Live more.


No comments:

Post a Comment