Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'm Sorry, But You're Not on the List

Baxter's Buzz of the Week

These NBA playoffs have been unpredictable, if nothing else. First, there was the 8th seed, Memphis Grizzlies taking down the #1 seed, San Antonio Spurs. Then there was the Atlanta Hawks beating the Orlando Magic. AND THEN, there was the nerve of Dallas. Beating the defending champs, LA Lakers in four straight games!

Everyone wants to be a winner - We have these so called experts predicting winners and losers in every matchup. And although these particular analyst are referring to games, there are those who predict winners and losers in the game of life. If you come from a certain background or your parents have a certain type of job, you are either given every opportunity to succeed, or picked to fail before you say your first words.

The experts don't predict a person with my background to become a productive member of society. A child with alcholic, drug addicted parents are supposed to have a criminal record a mile long by the time they turn 30, if they are still around. I've been blessed to have some good people in my corner and a gracious God who determined I have more to give than what is expected of a young black male.

I'm used to the underdog role. Even today, I am in a profession where most of my colleagues either have more education or twice as much experience as me. The odd thing is people assume I have a college degree because of the way I speak and/or carry myself. The school of hard knocks has taught me plenty. Combine that with my ability to relate to all types of individuals, I have an advantage that you can't teach in graduate school. The problem is, that is very hard to convey this advantage. People just normally recognize it or they don't. And does a hiring manger have the balls to choose me and then defend that choice to their superior? Normally not.

This is not unusual for me. I've been blessed to be placed in roles that based on my resume solely, I wouldn't "qualify" for. I have a strong work ethic and hate to let those who believe in me down. Once I had a good friend of mine co-sign a car for me. I told her that I'd get evicted from my apartment before I missed a car payment. Truth: I never missed.

Now I find myself in another one of these scenarios: My sales manager is leaving and I'm applying for her job. On paper there may be better choices, but there is no question in my mind that I am the right person for this role. When the position became available I had no intentions on applying because...well I don't know why I didn't want to apply. As I thought about my chances, I tried to come up with reasons I shouldn't be the new manager and I couldn't think of one. Not even one! Too bad I'm not choosing because I would have already appointed myself to the role.

As I think of these playoff teams who were predicted to be home already who are still playing, and these other "can't miss" teams with a lot of time on their hands all of a sudden because they lost, I think about my odds to get this job. Management may already have their minds made up ( I don't think they do) and my interview may just be a formality, but I honestly believe I have an outstanding shot. My plan is to defy the odds once again and do what I've done since I can remember: Keep winning.

Wish me luck..

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your interview Baxter!!! I'm so happy that I read this today because I'm facing a situation very similiar to this at work as well. I'm currently in school and have yet to get my degree, but my TL position opened up and I counted myself out before the good Lord got the news (as my mom would say). Thank you for this message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is important to constantly push yourself to do better and never get too content. I commend you on the drive and determination that you have for success.With that frame of mind you will continue to win.

    ReplyDelete