Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Park

Buzz of the Day
This past Saturday I went to the park where I grew, to play some basketball. It had been years since I was there to play and it brought back all types of memories. I basically spent half of my life there. I was always at the park, playing basketball. I learned a lot about life. I learned about the hierarchies of my neighborhood and where I fit in the food chain. The park also helped me deal with immediate pressure. Trash talking, a small audience, game on the line. The great thing about the park was: there was always a next day. You always had the opportunity to redeem yourself. Whether it was the next shot, next game, or the next day, I knew that I'd have another crack at winning or continue my winning ways from the previous day. Much of my quiet intensity and ability to forget a negative experience (but learn from it) came from the park. For that, I'm forever grateful.


Random Buzz
I understand that you have to do a little butt kissing in the corporate world. Most of the time it is not enough to just do your job. Although I understand that, I don't do a good job of "playing the game." The people that I talk to, I genuinely like. Let me get my chap stick ready!

I had a conference call this evening with some of my closest friends. My brother Deon is doing another tour in the armed forces. We decided to get on the phone and just do what we do: Talk trash and reminisce. We had some good times and I pray to God that our times together only get better.

We are having a housewarming this month. I'm excited about opening my home to my friends and family. This has given my wife and my mother-in-law something to plan for this summer. My wife loves to entertain. It should be a good time. The issue is: Who should I invite. There are certain people that you just gotta invite. Then those others folks who never show, but they'd be offended if you didn't invite them. That is very much, not my department, but somehow I am expected to make these important decisions that may dictate who we get invites and/or holiday cards from. Whatever

1 comment: