Saturday, October 6, 2012

Ignorance

One of my family members hurt my feelings earlier this week. Not with words directed at me (I'm way past that), but with his words in general. We all say stupid things. If we're fortunate, we won't say things that are offensive in addition to being stupid...ever.

But when you say things using social media, it is like saying it over and over and over again, reminding people of your ignorance. Even if it was just a temporary case of ignorance and not full blown, it all looks the same.

We are our own brand and every message we post on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media platform, we contribute to how people view us and our brand. Ignorance doesn't discriminate so I won't talk about a person's upbringing, but when I know someone's history, I look at their ignorance in a different light. Jobs need to be applied for, impressions need to be made and reputations need to be preserved. Listen: I think a lot of stupid things are funny and I have many opinions that may appear controversial, but my secret is that I DON'T POST THEM ON FACEBOOK! Genius, right?

Kids grow up and become their own people. When it comes to our family, we just have a certain vision of how we'd like that person to be. Truth is, there are more disappointments than anything else. What are you gonna do? The truly ignorant have no care about who they offend and then there are some who grow up and realize  how foolish they were (that would be me!). How will this particular family member end up viewing themselves from 2012? That is yet to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment