Wednesday, March 21, 2018

2031

#BaxtersBuzz
Every day is different with children. Just when you think you've found some sort of rhythm, a new tooth comes and ruins your good night's sleep. Already in the month of March Zara has lost two teeth and Bryce has a new molar pushing through. How do kids look with one or two adult teeth and the rest baby teeth?? I'm guessing pretty ridiculous.

Know the Difference - I've had a very interesting 12 months or when it comes to work. I've witnessed some of the most inspiring leadership and the absolute worse leadership that I've ever been a part of in my entire 20 years of being an employee. Many of us are in positions not because of some of our most glaring flaws, but in spite of them. But when folks are successful, it's difficult for them to accept they have room for improvement. Sometimes major room! Some will say, "This stubbornness is the reason I've owned my company for so many years." But maybe your stubbornness is the reason your company hasn't been more successful. They never consider that though.

Self Evaluation - Know your strengths and don't be afraid of your weaknesses. There's courage in objectivity. It takes a lot to be honest with yourself. Don't beat yourself up, but understand the areas of improvement and work on them. Maybe start with a book on the subject and go from there. And don't limit it to just a particular aspect of your life. I have work to be done at home as a husband AND as a father. I also have holes in my game at work. The key is doing your very best each day. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz has helped me understand this concept: My best today may be different from my best yesterday. I may have a higher ceiling some days, and a lower floor some other days. Just do the best you can on that day and have peace that you gave the day your all.

Back to the Babies - Zara has her first beauty shop (beauty salon?) appointment this week. Where has the time gone? I remember when the nurse handed her to me, her eyes were wide open. She was so attentive. Those big ole eyes locked in on me. I didn't know it then, but my life would never be the same. She'll be starting kindergarten in the fall and another chapter will begin. Class of 2031. That doesn't even sound like a real number! I guess that makes Bryce class of 2034? Okay, this is too much for this daddy to handle for one night.

Read more. Write more. Love more. Pray more. Live more.

No comments:

Post a Comment