Sunday, May 9, 2010

Buzz of the Week



What Do I Owe You? - Do public figures like athletes and entertainers have a responsibility to speak up about anything? I mentioned last week the law in Arizona essentially, giving police officers the right to racially profile. 2011's MLB all star game is in AZ. There was a particular player (Adrian Gonzalez of the San Diego Padres) that said he'd boycott the game. There were people who said they'd boycott him and the team he plays for. Wow! If you are an athlete, should you not have an opinion? The show that I was watching (Mike and Mike in the morning) applauded those notoriously un-involved athletes like Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, and Tiger Woods. Now there will be some that mention their charities and how much money they give. Kudos to them, but is that enough? Imagine the impact Jordan or Woods could have if they made statements that tackled important social issues in America and all over the world. Imagine the effect on the youth that look up to these guys. Also, imagine the future stars who grew up idolizing them, who felt like it was their responsibility to also speak up when they had a platform to do so. Us "regular" folks should do more also.

We all have a responsibility to be well informed and reach out and make one another more aware.

I stopped blogging for a long time because I was so frustrated about what was going on in my life. I didn't want to share certain feelings for fear I may come across entirely negative. I also didn't want to share certain views fearing that somehow my job or future job could be in jeopardy.


I have not been sent here to be some one's robot. I have an opinion, and I plan to share it with those who care to listen. Many times when you're young, you don't speak up as much as you'd like because you haven't developed the confidence. Then you get older and you have more responsibilities (i.e., spouse, mortgage, children) and you are afraid to speak your mind, afraid that you may lose your ability to support/pay for these things. So you keep all these things pent up until you become old. Then you become that old dude that nobody likes because they don't think before they speak.

In my opinion, that is no way to live. My very first job, I worked with a lovely lady named Faye. She would always say, "You were eating before you got here, you'll be eating when you leave." Needless to say, Faye wasn't afraid to speak her mind. You can't say everything that comes to your mind. Don't get me wrong. But there are those who bet on you not speaking up and that is how they take advantage of you. It is a very thin line and your reaction to events should be considered on a case-by-case basis. Our responsibility is to those who have come before us and those who will come after us.

Sports Buzz

Loooong Goooone! - I'd just like to say rest in peace, Ernie Harwell. He has been such an important part of so many people's lives. I am always amazed at the stories that people have of him. He seemed like the definition of a class act. If we all would treat those around us like Ernie Harwell treated people, the world would be a much better place.

Also, I'd like to wish everyone a happy mother's day! There are woman working 2 and 3 jobs, trying to provide for their family. There are also men playing the role of mom and dad. Shout out to them all! May God bless them and their families.

I appreciate the 4 people (including myself) who visit and read my blog. As long as you keep reading (even if you don't), I'll keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment