Sunday, May 2, 2010

I'm Back Buzzing

Baxter's Buzz

Well, I've never stopped buzzing. I just stopped sharing. My plan is to have a weekly blog that touches on a number of topics that I've thought about during the week.


Peter Pan - There are so many "Peter Pans" out there that don't want to grow up. How does that effect the people around them? Children, family, and friends are all affected by our actions. I know people who are doing things almost identically to what they've done historically. Whether it's shunning responsibilities or just making silly choices. There are those out there sleeping around with anyone that will sleep with them. There are people selling drugs. More are using drugs. These are extreme examples. Maybe it doesn't hit home with everyone.

What about not looking for a job because you're receiving unemployment? What about expecting people to be available when you need them, but being absent in their lives? What about complaining so much about things, that people don't want to answer the phone when you call? What about blaming others for things that you can control? Are we on the same page yet? Good.

We all make mistakes. I make mistake pretty much every day. I believe that you separate yourself from the pack by learning from and correcting the mistakes you make. The phrase is "Know better, do better," but it's easier said than done. Bad habits die hard and doing the right thing is always tougher than doing wrong. We all want these great things, but not willing to put in the work. There are great sacrifices necessary to achieve great things.

What will change for you this year? Anything? Nothing? Everything? I believe that if you trust in God, and sow the right seeds, you'll be fine. Things won't be perfect, but you'll understand what is truly in your control and what isn't. It's like when you were a child and your parents wanted you to keep your room clean, do your homework, and miscellaneous chores. They did everything else. We had faith that they'd take care of us and while we didn't get everything that we wanted, they had our best interest at hand... I hope you understand the metaphor.

Ridiculousness of the Week

Papers, Please - There was a law passed in Arizona this past week that essentially allows police officers to stop any person that has a "reasonable suspicion" of being in the U.S. illegally. There's no provision of probable cause so the police have been given the green light to racially profile. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Arizona is still part of the U.S., and that goes against all that we stand for. Can anyone say Nazi Germany?

Sports Buzz

Forever Young - If you've read my blogs, you know that I am a sports fan. Earlier in the blog, I talked about those people who don't want to grow up. I am a firm believer in giving people opportunities. I look at the first month of the Detroit Tigers season and I see 3-4 rookies in the starting lineup on any given day. Yes, they are going to make mistakes, but if they are truly the future...the future is now. I look how the Detroit Pistons had 3 rookies on their team that didn't get as many opportunities and I disagree with that approach. I am much more tolerant of rookies and young players making mistakes compared to predictable mediocrity from veterans. I look at the Tigers and wish the Pistons would have done more "on the job training." You take your lumps, learn, and move on. That is in sports and in life.

Happy New Years

On April 16, I celebrated my 29th birthday (Praise the Lord). I consider that my new years. I look at my life and I believe I have much more to give. I want to make an impact on this world before my number is called. I don't need fame or anything. I am just hopeful that I can do my part. Every day is another opportunity. There are people who didn't wake up this morning. There are people who never made it to the age that you are now. Let's be inspired by that and just do our part. If any just does their part, I think we'd be surprise at the progress we could make.


No comments:

Post a Comment