Thursday, April 16, 2020

Another Trip Around the Sun


#BaxtersBuzz
So today is my birthday and shit. I made another trip around the sun!
Today was a day of reflection. I wanted to post around mid-morning, but I wasn't done processing this thought. And as I try to enjoy the day, I can't help but reflect on my past. Today I turned 39 years old. I feel pretty good, especially considering that I haven't had the best week of sleep. As a matter of fact, this has gone on for 3-4 weeks if we’re being honest.

Song of the Day - FEEL by Kendrick Lamar. Almost three years ago to the day, Kendrick Lamar dropped his last studio project. One of the songs that always stirred up so many emotions for me was this one. He raps, " I feel like friends been overrated. I feel like the family been fakin. I feel like the feelings are changing." He's clearly trying to process these feelings of resentment, betrayal, and abandonment. Or maybe that's me projecting how I feel? Hmmm…

Looking For Inspiration - I was honored to have three different people who I admire, tell me they wanted to do some type of creative project with me. These were completely unrelated and unsolicited. It was super flattering! I think there's an energy… a momentum that is building. I can almost taste it! I've tossed and turned for months, trying to shake off fears and avoiding any thoughts of what happens the day AFTER tomorrow. “Tomorrow I have a, b, and c to do.” I can put my head down and lock in. “Sorry! Too busy to think about anything past today and tomorrow.” It’s easier that way. If we continue like that, we’ll be on our death bed, regretting that we didn’t do more with the time we had. I think we're all itching to be great and waiting for an excuse to pursue it. Do we have something that we're passionate enough about to push through the monotonous, unexciting part of the journey? That is the million-dollar question! What if I can help move the needle for someone and help spark that inspiration for them? What if they can do the same for me?

Realigning Your Tribe - One of the books that I'm reading is called "Relational Intelligence" by Dr. Dharius Daniels. He talks about the different types of relationships that we have. Friends, associates, or advisers to name a few. He argues that many times when we're disappointed with someone it is because we have them in the wrong category, and therefore, have expectations that are unfair to you and to that other person. As I began reading the book, I kept thinking about different people from MY past and present. Focusing on what roles these people are playing in my life versus what I may be expecting. All real and legitimate things. But as I made my way through the book, I started to think about what role I was playing in other people’s lives. Some, who seemed to remove me from certain positions and changed their expectations of me. It started to become clear: What I was learning about having the right people in the right positions in my life, some of my people had already learned that lesson. It's (typically) not personal. It’s just shedding your old skin before starting your new journey. If we're picking teams in basketball, everyone can't make it. I imagine that if it went from a basketball game to say, a debating competition, the order of selection may have changed and others may not make the cut

Know Your Role - We're not chosen to run every leg of someone else's race. We may be there to pop things off and then pass the baton. Hell, we may only be there to nurse someone back to health when they're injured and not be part of the actual "race" at all. Every skinned knee, broken heart, and tear drop has a story. When you think about it, it’s humbling to be even a small part of someone’s journey. I'm blessed that many of my friends and I still stay in touch. We talk about the old times, cracking jokes and teasing one another. But other times we're talking about our children, spouses, and offering encouragement. It all depends on the particular friend and what they bring to your life currently. That will determine whether you talk about that summer of 2001 or plan for 2021.

Thanks for reading. Please comment and share with others who may appreciate it.

Read more. Write more. Love more. Pray more. Live more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment