Monday, August 15, 2011

Me Too!

Baxter's Buzz


My last blog talked about my three year anniversary and how I am currently learning valuable lessons every single day. I work with people that make a lot of money. I understand the term "a lot of money" is relative, but in my book, at this time in my life, it is a lot of money.


When folks tell you to go to school and work hard to be successful, it is immediately thrown out the window when you actually get to a work setting. Some people are working their tails off and others seem to be working hard at not working. You see the politics that are involved and you realize that many lessons have to be learned through experience.


"I'll start coming in on time when everyone else starts to come in on time," was an email that my wife's coworker sent to her boss after the boss, reminded her of the expected start time for the work day. Good for her! We can all live through an email like that. One of the first things people realize when they start a job is how certain rules don't apply to certain employees. The biggest mistake we make is assuming that we, as a newbie can disregard rules. That causes enormous resentment and when you start complaining with the others (who've been there longer and have much more bitterness) who aren't allowed certain privileges, the resentment grows.


The bottom line is: Life is unfair. People who you deem undeserving will be allowed to do things and achieve more success than you. I work with some people that are not the favorites of many at my job. There are employees like that at most, if not every job. So if you change jobs, don't change because of favoritism. Change for a better opportunity not because Jim can show up late and you cannot. And let's remember whose to blame. Jim is just doing what he's been allowed to do, but Jim's boss is the one allowing it.

Continue to work hard (I'm assuming you work hard) and focus on you. You have to run your own race. Make decisions based on what makes sense, for now and in the future and don't get caught up with petty personal stuff. You're better than that. Plus, right or wrong, you just seem bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment