Monday, August 29, 2011

What's Your Definition of Success?

Labor Day Buzz

"Can you imagine being their age and working here?" Was a question that I'd get from a young coworker every time they'd bring in a new, middle-aged employee. Every time he'd ask that, I'd picture myself as this middle-aged guy starting a new job. Scary! I follow all of these folks on twitter and they share these awesome quotes. Sometimes their own quotes or sometimes famous quotes. I read one this morning, "The purpose of leadership is the create more leaders, not more followers."

What are YOU here for? - Everyone has their own race to run, but I am starting to understand what God has intended for me. I have been put here to help people. In my current role, there are times when I can absolutely help someone out, but my calling stretches far beyond a sales role. Your calling? Who knows.

"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do and liking how you do it."

There are plenty of ways to contribute to society. I applaud any person that makes it to work everyday and taking care of their responsibilities. That may seem common to you, depending on your perspective. There are people that have NO INTENTIONS to do anything legal. The only occupations that they're familiar with are from the streets. 1 in 8 black men in their twenties is in prison or jail. And 1 in 3 black males born today is expected to go to prison. (According to Martin Richard).

So regardless of how much money I make, if I can't do my part in decreasing those numbers, I am not doing what I feel is necessary for ME to feel satisfied. If I'm building walls around myself and removing myself from the people that need me the most...it's all for naught.

No comments:

Post a Comment