Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Buzz Part 2


Baxter's Buzz
I continue to reflect on my life, on a daily basis as of late, and I believe I'm slowly turning the corner. My complacency gets the best of me at times and simultaneously, I'm hating myself for not cranking it up a notch.
I wore my Underdog t-shirt to work last week and I started to seriously think if I considered myself a "favorite" or an underdog. That is a very interesting question. Quite honestly, I'm not sure of my conclusion. I believe that because of my circumstances at birth, I was considered by many, an underdog. Black male, born out of wedlock, mother dying before I completed third grade. I was screwed, right? But through God's grace and some caring people being placed in my life, I defied the odds. I am now a productive member of society, with a mortgage, and no breaks in work since the age of 19. At 30 years old, I've managed to do pretty well for myself.
Now I'll be 31 in April with no college degree(yet). I'm a black male who's options are limited because I have put myself in not the greatest of positions. I am smart, thoughtful, and hard working, but I don't have any papers backing up how great of an asset I can be so I am overlooked for roles that I know I'd kick ass in.
I said ALL OF THAT to say this: I am an underdog that's been living like a favorite. I have the skills of a champ and the credentials of a chump. When my effort is in line with my know-how, I have been able to achieve some pretty cool things.
But many times my effort reflects someone who is expecting a handout. And although I've never been given a handout, I get pissed when some great opportunity doesn't just fall into my lap. I have to remind myself that regardless of what I believe I deserve, I have to go out and earn it.
God has blessed me with so much, it would be a shame to not squeeze every ounce of potential out and hopefully inspire others of what can be done, even if you're the only one expecting great things from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment