Sunday, July 15, 2012

10 Year Plan

I go through these spells where I have a ton of things on my mind, but cannot organize my thoughts. Sundays are when I start to think about the upcoming week, but I seem to always look further (much further) and start examining my entire life. These are the times that I become super frustrated.
I'm not sure where I'm "supposed" to be in my life at this particular time. All I know is: I ain't there.

I met a young man last week who found out about our nonprofit through an article he had read. I met with him to see if there was an opportunity for us to help one another. He's 21 years old, has some different passions, but not entirely sure the direction he wants to go. In other words: He's in the same boat of about 85% off 21 year olds in the world. And I'd imagine about 80% of everyone else. At 21 you have been out of school for more than 2 years and things are starting to change.  I told him about having a plan, avoiding excuses, and utilizing all of his resources. As I spoke with the young man, I realized that I was 10 years older than him and there are times when I lose my way. As a matter of fact: I struggled last week with wanting more money and trying to decide if it was time for me to move on from my current situation.

We all would like more money, less stress, and more recognition at our job. I wonder what percentage of people feel like they're getting paid "what they deserve" at their job. Most of us spend half our lives at our jobs and the other half complaining about our jobs. As I spoke with this fresh faced kid, looking for his first real opportunity, I wondered if I could follow some of the advice that I passed along to him. Later in the week I spoke with a friend of mine who's going through a crossroads of sorts in his own life. As he spoke to me about how bad his situation was, I realized that he had no plan, always had an excuse for why something didn't go his way, and didn't take advantage of the resources at his disposal. He is almost the exact same person he was at 21 (He's now 31).

I have no idea what the 21 year old will do with his next 10 years on earth. I'm not sure if he'll be in the same state of mind, just trying to find his way, but I pray the he'll exceed the limited success that I've experienced in 31 years and can pass along some knowledge to someone aspiring to being like him.






No comments:

Post a Comment