Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Celebration of Second Chances

It's always awesome when great things not only happen for you, but for your loved ones. This past weekend I celebrated with a friend of mine who is getting a second chance in many ways. He's been living in Detroit and barely able to pay his bills. He hasn't been able to save enough money to pay off all of the tickets he has in order to get his license. And with no license, you're options of employment are limited...when there are actually people hiring. He wanted more and was considering an array of avenues to get more money with many of them (okay all of them) being illegal.

I do my best not to judge people. I have been around all types of addicts, including my mother and father. There are people who most people would be terrified of who'd give me the shirt off their backs. They are judged by people because they haven't been able to manage their demons and result to their choice of drug, be it cocaine, pills, or alcohol. I think it is very interesting how judgmental folks can be just because they can afford their addiction or their demons cannot be detected by the naked eye...But I digress.

My friend was considering selling crack/cocaine; A drug that has destroyed millions of lives. Selling drugs (I'm not including marijuana. I don't smoke, but I don't see much wrong with it) is kinda like shooting a gun into a house; You know it is causing damage, but you don't really know how much damage. My friend and I have had the displeasure of living in THAT house, and seeing first hand how destructive and deadly it can be. We are two of the fortunate ones who have survived being exposed to that lifestyle, but how could we be the cause of other children facing the challenging odds of surviving that life and being a productive member of society?

A friend of his offered to get him out of the state. He drove from down south and will allow him to live with him. He's also giving him 2 months rent free until he can get on his feet. This was just what the doctor ordered! There are many times that we're faced with what feels like the lesser of two evils. Life can be so difficult and simply surviving can take the place of a rational and ethical alternative.

This is a celebration of second chances. The second chances that many of us don't get. I wish him all the best and I'm ecstatic of what the future holds for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment