Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fresh Start

Baxter's Buzz

I spoke with my little sister yesterday. She has been feeling neglected by most of her family recently, I haven't done a good job of correcting that. See, her and I are the youngest of my dad's children. Quite honestly, I'm sure me being born 31 years ago when my father's youngest at that time was 14 years old. So imagine all of ours surprise when my little sister was born 19 years ago when I was 13! I wanted to make sure that she didn't feel alienated like I did when I was young (truth be told, I still have my issues at 31 years old).

But while trying to find my way through life, I haven't been a good brother. My wife says she understands my point, but that I'm too hard on myself. She says, "How can you really extend yourself when you're still having issues at your age?"
She poses a great point, but I refuse to let myself off the hook that easily. I told my younger sister that I need to do better and she replied, "It's not too late to make a fresh start." Regardless of how I feel about my older siblings and what they've done or not done, I can only control my actions. Bottom line is: I need to do better. And I will. Not sure about it being a "fresh"start, but in many ways every day is a fresh start. Not what will I do with it?

R.I.P. to a classmate of mine who died suddenly this week. My prayers go out to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment