Sunday, February 24, 2013

Ordinary People

Baxter's Buzz

Listen. Can you hear that? What thoughts run through your head in the middle of the night? What motivates you to wake up every morning? What is your inspiration?
"To have a reason to get up in the morning, it is necessary to possess a guiding principle..." Those words are the first on the first page of the book 'Ordinary People.' Although I always think this line is from 'Catcher In The Rye,' the line has always stuck with me, nonetheless.

I hear voices in my head. I relive powerful conversations from the past that encouraged me to want more in life than what I saw most in my neighborhood wanting. My friends and I talked big and dreamed even bigger. We compared our upbringing to what we wanted for our future children and decided to break cycles. We pushed each other to achieve things that wouldn't have been possible without the support system we created. With all of that being said, we as individuals must ultimately determine what path we want to take. And we as individuals must create a plan to ensure our path leads to our end goal.

I am, and have been for quite some time, walking in uncharted territory. My footsteps are fresh. Every step is measured, for I know not what lies ahead. I watch interviews and documentaries because I want to know how to set myself apart from the crowd. I want to know how a regular cat like me can achieve greatness. I want to learn what type of sacrifices were made and could they feel their momentum growing as they reached one seemingly unattainable goal after another. Because sometimes I feel that way. I think. What is their secret?

Who first told you that you were special? What did they say? Do you believe you're special? We're all just ordinary people with extraordinary capabilities. Will we ever realize our potential? Giving all-out effort is a talent. Most of us are just skating by, running at 50% effort, or less. Dedicating most of our efforts each day complaining, pointing fingers and avoiding work that may be just outside of our "duties" or job description.

You owe yourself more than that. You have more inside of you than throwing daily pity parties and watching all of the successful people on tv. Being great doesn't necessarily being famous, because we all know those two things don't always coincide.

I believe the more people that we can inspire, the more inspired we become. Surround yourself with those who want more from life and challenge each other to strive for even greater things. Laugh, smile and enjoy the journey. And don't be afraid to change paths is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment