Monday, February 18, 2013

Relocation

Baxter's Buzz

Monday is my company's first day at our new location. Although I've only been with the company for just over a year, my life has changed so much in this short span. I'm working with some of the best people around. Not only do I get along with them at work, I've actually met folks that I consider to be my friends. Many of them came out to support my nonprofit when I had only been there for a few months and that really struck a cord with me. In addition to the career opportunity being awesome the people have literally changed my life.

What is a friend? I'm not sure if there is a static definition that is applicable for such a fluid topic. I'm not really sure where I'm heading with this, so just work with me. I am turning 32 years old this spring. I'm also expecting my first child around the same time. I haven't had much communication with some of the folks I consider my best friends recently. Are they not my friends anymore? I wouldn't say that, but what I would say is that our friendship has changed (changed dramatically, as a matter of fact). When I was young, I never imagined NOT growing old with the folks I shared so many of my fondest memories with as a child. Things change though. You have to be thankful for the memories you've shared with people and leave it at that. Nobody owes you any more. If you create more memories together, great, but don't feel that anyone owes you.

It is not fair to compare one friend to another. Relationship dynamics can be complicated and vary from person to person. There are a ton of people in the world who share some of your interests and who you can have great conversations with and share good times with. Will you ask them to stand up at your wedding? Maybe not. Just appreciate each great laugh, great conversation and overall great moment with anyone that you're fortunate enough to enjoy them with.

No comments:

Post a Comment