Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Buzz of the Week

Baxter's Buzz

Hello everyone. I'm back buzzing this week with a variety of topics. Enjoy!

Having Fun Yet? - I was watching one of the channels (Maybe CNN?) and found out that President Obama would be a guest on "The View". There have been folks saying that "The View" is beneath the president. I believe that you reach the people, wherever they are. I watched the interview and he said something very interesting. He talked about making tough decisions and how the things that the media talk about, many times isn't what he is dealing with.

Perception is reality and sometimes we have to appear mad to communicate to the masses that we're mad. As a Detroiter, and a Tigers fan, we've been waiting for the manager, Jim Leyland to lose his cool with his team...in front of the media. What's more important to you: Genuinely caring and working hard, or appearing to genuinely care and appearing to work hard?

When I first started at my current employer, there was a guy who worked there for several years. A real class act, good guy. After less than a year, Dan was leaving the company. We all went out for drinks, and before we parted ways, he gave me some advice: Don't feel bad about letting people know of your good deeds at work. In other words, toot your own horn every now and again. That is not my style, but sometimes when you are humble, you get overlooked...okay, most of the time when you're humble, you get overlooked. So when Obama doesn't get on television and pound his fist, or Leyland doesn't throw a tirade after a tough loss, they're criticized for not caring when that is light years from the truth!

I thinks it is a shame when we have to be WWE entertainers to get our point across. I tell myself all the time that I need to be more vocal, but there's only so much of that I can do. Earlier, I said that you reach the people, wherever they are. Does that mean put on a show to communicate that you're working. I'm not so sure that's what I meant. Good question though. It's actually something that I struggle with because I understand how perception works, and I've gone unnoticed many times because I have not gone out of my way to pat myself on the back.

Sports Buzz
Three's Company? - There is a lot of buzz that Mike Ilitch, owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers, will attempt to purchase the Detroit Pistons! That would be awesome in my opinion. Potentially moving the Pistons downtown, to share an arena with the Red Wings makes perfect sense. I went to Cleveland this summer with my wife and one of the things that I couldn't shake from my brain was: Why can't Detroit's downtown be this nice? The Pistons won't save downtown, but it would be a wonderful step in the right direction.

Ridiculousness of the week
5,4,3 - Has anyone seen those Quiznos commercials with the cats in those funky costumes?? I can't lie, I'm a notorious clicker, but when I see an ad that catches my eye, I watch. I haven't been able to turn those off....yet.

Once again, I appreciate the two folks that read and support this blog. There will be some changes coming soon, and I'll be sure to keep you two in loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment