Sunday, January 24, 2016

2016 Is My Year!



#BaxtersBuzz

Here We Go Again - This is my attempt to get some feelings and experiences documented before my second child arrives in early April. There are a number of challenges that I'm facing and I want to share. To my 3-4 folks who read when I post, thank you. It's probably down to 1 person since I haven't blogged since March of 2015! I hope to be more consistent moving forward. I'm selfishly hoping that this will unclutter some of the thoughts in my brain.

My second child is expected to arrive about three weeks before my oldest turns three years old. My birthday will be about 10 days between each, but I am not focused on that. I'm sure I'll fit in a celebratory drink/dinner for myself but my biggest concern is getting this newborn here, safe and sound. And of course, making sure my wife is healthy as well. There are so many things to worry about during a pregnancy, but it's such a waste of energy. And it does no good.
We found out we were expecting as I was trying to find my legs in a new job role. I did not handle the transition well. I lost a lot of sleep, worrying about my new leadership team, how I could make more money, how we'd handle another baby and how would we be able to afford it.

Oh Yeah, Money - Leadership is interesting. I think most of us have an idea of what we'd like to do if given a chance to lead, but once in a role, YOUR leaders typically dictate how you'll lead. I've been in the workforce long enough to know that leadership does matter. Poor leaders can force you to leave a job you really like and great leaders can help you enjoy a job and excel where you never thought you could. Some leaders are so caught up in proving their worth, they're impeding the progress of their team. Removing their proverbial thumb and allowing the team to flourish and grow, (with pertinent and occasional input) is what I respond best to. I'm doing my best to give my leadership what they need while trying to work from a consistent playbook. It's the balance that I need in order to keep my sanity....and sleeping at night. 

Keeping What Real? - What I also realized is that nothing brings more peace than prayer. Allowing God to handle my worries has ALWAYS been the best remedy. It's amazing how quickly we can forget about prayer, being too wrapped up in our own minds. I started this blog back in 2008 as a platform to share and work through some of the issues in my head. I had just moved back to Detroit from the west side of the state and was about to get married. I moved to start a new job and was being introduced to the world of corporate America. The pretentiousness and phony people has always been a struggle for me. Now I just work under the assumption that whatever I share will eventually become public knowledge so if I don't want that outcome, keep it to myself. I watch a lot of sports and I'm always amazed at how a player can go from a promising career to a "bust" all because they changed teams. The people around you make all of the difference in the world. A group of folks who build you up will always see better results from you than a group who just tears you down. Seems like a simple concept, but yet there are folks in leadership positions at the highest levels that can't quite grasp this ideology. I'm learning to deal with it better, but I still REALLY STRUGGLE. Guess I need to continue to pray!

Read more. Write more. Love more. Pray more. Live more.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new baby Bax! Once again you have hit the nail on the head,leadership is a vital thing the world needs real leaders to SHOW the others how it should be done. Not everyone can lead. Most lack the basic self discipline to even commit to such a thing. It's also important to keep strong in one's faith, the Lord has gotten me through much. Keep it up! You got this.

    ReplyDelete