Sunday, April 14, 2013

One Year Ago

Baxter's Buzz

Last year today, a good friend of my family, and a great friend of mine passed away. Just two days prior to her birthday (which happens to be my birthday also). She would be so proud of how this past year has gone for me. She helped me develop my love of movies and taught me not to be afraid of wearing your heart on your sleeves (which I haven't followed in the slightest). She was intelligent, articulate, passionate and unable to be silenced. She loved hard and stuck to her guns when she felt strongly about something, regardless of if she believe she was right or not. I remember her being somewhat of a mother-figure for me when my mother passed away. She wasn't afraid to be herself with the understanding that everyone wouldn't accept that. That's one of the lessons I hope to pass along to my daughter.

 Last year when my Aunt was sick, I told her that she couldn't go anywhere because our birthday was coming up soon. She agreed but I later realized she had to get up to heaven in order to work on getting my first born here. So as my birth month concludes, my first daughter will be born and I know that my aunt had something to do with it. I'm sure she was polite while also being extremely articulate and persistent in making her request known. The thought of the exchange makes me smile.

Siblings Day? - Last week people were celebrating something called "Sibling Day." I can honestly say that I've never heard of this before this year. Is this real? Although my dad had several children way before I was even thought of, I grew up by myself, and therefore consider myself an only child. I did spend A LOT of time with 10 or so of my closest friends and consider them my brothers. I guess I want to wish them a happy siblings day. Oh yeah, my sisters and my blood brother too.

Welcome To The Club - With our desire as humans to have an answer for every question and complete every sentence, we need a reason for other people's success. But we need an answer that WE can accept. "The girl who lost all of that weight HAS to be starving herself."
"He's a brown-noser and that's why HE got the promotion."
"That house is TOO nice for them. They must have purchased a foreclosure."
My advice to anyone achieving some success and consequently, obtaining some haters: Focus on what made you successful and don't worry about haters. And remember that a pat on the back ain't far from a kick in the behind. Folks are very fickle and may be rooting for your success one day and your demise the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment