Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I'm 33

Baxter's Buzz

I was playing ball at the gym and there was a young kid who came on the court. We spoke back and forth between plays and I asked him how old he was, to which he replied, "sixteen." He then said, "How old are YOU?" I don't think about my age all the time, but I really feel young in many ways. And old in many others. Sometimes my awareness can be a burden because I see the world from these weird angles and it would be much easier to see it in black and white. The world isn't black and white, but most of us pretend that it is....easier that way.

Forever Young? -  I feel young, but I was told today that, "we don't have much more time to be young." So what do we do while youth is on our side? And what is the expiration date on youth?? If I wanted to go back to school in January and go 180 degrees away from my current field, how long do you think it'd take to get my Masters? Let's say it took me 7 years to become....to work in the social services field. I'd be 40 years old and could still have a wonderful and lengthy "second" career. Let's say I worked until I was 70. That's 30 years! When I look at things that way, I believe I'm still have some youth left.

Doggy Dog World - My wife is back to trying to sell me on a puppy. I love my daughter more than anything in this world. With that being said, she is a LOT of work. Long gone are the times that my wife and I could hop up and spend the weekend out of town. There's a certain amount of preparation that even goes into a trip to damn Home Depot! So as my daughter gets older and a little easier to babysit (although that's debatable), she wants me to get a dog that will never be able to fend for itself? Hmmmmm

Old Man - I've given up on fancy socks. I simply can't keep up with them. I'm going to buy a bunch of the same pattern black, brown and blue socks. Finding socks is the most stressful part of getting dressed. Ridiculous, I know. That's why I'm doing something about it. My coworker called it going "old man." Whatever you call it, I'm implementing it as soon as possible.

Best Sports City  - It's amazing how sports can lift a city (Detroit was just voted best sports city. Perfect timing). Or if you're a Detroit sports fan, sports can ruin an otherwise solid, easygoing weekend. I'm in the wrong field. I have to remind myself that those guys are blessed to play a game for a living. I don't have the time to live and die with each win and loss. To quote Jalen Rose, "There are winners in sports and then there are winners in life." All those guys are winning. I'm dedicated to becoming a winner myself and I have only so much time to mope around. I'm not 13 anymore...I'm 33! I got shit to accomplish..

No comments:

Post a Comment