Wednesday, October 8, 2014

October 8, 2014

Baxter's Buzz

Sometimes I have too much on my mind and I have trouble sleeping. I can always fall asleep but my brain never completely shuts down. I can quiet it enough to lay down, but if I have more than usual going on, a simple trip to the bathroom may start my brain back up....full speed. So if I'm having one of those nights, I may get up and turn on the t.v. Often, I'll hear my baby's aquarium that is attached to her crib. It's this electronic aquarium that's part night light, part radio and part entertainment because these fish go back and forth (I understand why she likes it). It has to be manually turned on so I know she was up at some point. 

I wonder what keeps a baby up at night. There's so much in the world to learn and experience and every single thing is new to them. I guess I wouldn't wanna sleep either! But I suppose we can still look at life that way. Or at least we should try. 

 A guy who was helping me repair my basement got some bad news. His wife had cancer and they were giving her two weeks to live. He felt this enormous amount of guilt. He said, "It should be me. I'm the one that drinks and smokes." Oh, if it were only that simple. Most of us are fortunate enough to NOT know when our last day will be (imagine the stress that would cause!), but our cards could truly be punched at any time. Those fish in my daughter's aquarium can only go from side to side, but we have the opportunity to go anywhere....and we go to bed normally.

We can dream while we're asleep, but we can only chase those dream while we're awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment