Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Two Year Review

Baxter's Buzz



Buzz of the Day - Time truly flies. I just did my taxes this past weekend and remember blogging about the terrible lady I had two years ago at H&R Block. These days, I'm a different person...kinda.

Yesterday I blogged about standing up for yourself and returning some one's vicious serve by simply sticking your racket out and using their force against them. Two years ago, I hadn't been at my job six months, we had just gotten our salary reduced and I was a nervous wreck.

These days, I'm a much more confident person when it comes down to job security. The main reason being because I bust my butt and give them an honest day's effort. Another reason is because I have the skills to do my job well.

A "sales team" is similar to a track or golf team; it's an individual sport, but we're expected to have some camaraderie. When I started, people barely wanted to speak to me. Of course there were some nice folks, but most of them resented the fact that there was another person, essential taking money out of their pocket.

I've decided that as long as I'm an employee there, I will not only greet all new comers with open arms, I will go out of my way to lead by example in meetings and with my interaction with my "team" members. I think the culture has been "I'm too cool for school" at my job. A very cold, uninviting sales team where folks would rather talk about you than to you. Many of those people are no longer there and now I believe it's up to me to lead the way to instill a new culture. At least be a piece to the puzzle. This way I am not only giving my employers what they want, but I also get the most out of my skills on a daily basis. Who wouldn't feel comfortable?
See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment