Sunday, February 20, 2011

What a week!

Baxter's Buzz

Buzz of the Week - Last week was very, very interesting. Being in sales, and understanding the importance of your performance on the entire business gives you a unique perspective.

There was an event I attended at the Ann Arbor Center For Independent Living. They are a non- profit committed to improving the lives of everyone, especially those with disabilities. Every time I attend something there, I meet amazing people who inspire me. They are facing obstacles that most of us could never imagine. Their aim is to become productive members of society like most folks desire.

There are a few Americans that are placed perfectly at the starting block when they are born, and the rest of us start at a significant distance behind, trying to our best just to get even. I think about black and brown folks, along with woman who are treated like they have disabilities (just to name a few). Life is hard enough to begin with, before having additional obstacles put in front of you. But I digress.

I also meet the awesome staff members who work every day to make a difference. Folks like Stephanie, Lisa, Gary, and Helen are full time employees at AACIL, remind me that there are people out there that still care. Sometimes, we hear so much bad news that we forget that people all over the world who are making a difference and making their mark in people's heart every day.

So once again, I'm reminded that there's more to life than chasing the elusive dollar. That same day when I returned to work, things were in the process of falling apart. There were co-workers of mine that were laid off that afternoon. Lives were turned upside down. Even those of us who were fortunate enough to keep our jobs, were taken aback by the events that transpired.

This same week, my wife was told by her boss that she needs to come in to work on time. Not because she was getting there late, but because she would be 25-30 minutes early! Maybe her boss wants her to come in 25-30 minutes late like she does. I don't know. But before the lay offs at my job occurred, I told my wife in a text, "Remember: its just a job."

Your job can define you if you choose for it to define you, but under no circumstances does it have to! We need to find fulfilling jobs that we feel good about. And if that's not an option, we need to fill the rest of our life up, outside of work, with meaningful things.

God Bless you all. Thanks for reading. I really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment