Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Life Imitating Art...Imitating Life

What would you think if I sang out of tune


Would you stand up and walk out on me?


Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song


And I'll try not to sing out of key





Oh I get by with a little help from my friends


Mm I get high with a little help from my friends


Mm going to try with a little help from my friends





These are lyrics from "I get by with a little help from my friends" performed by the Beatles.





I grew up with a pretty close knit bunch of guys. There are 10 of us, and some of us have known each other since kindergarten! Some were relatives, some friends of friends, but eventually we became brothers. We have been relied on for all types of support. I know that if there's anything that I need and they can provide, there's no question that they'd give it. And I'd do the same for them. Because of my close knit friends, I have struggled to find other friends that "match up" to my....brothers. There are just certain things that I won't deal with. Certain behaviors, I deem unacceptable! My idea of friendship is skewed because my friends have become my family. I had never been close to my cousins or siblings in the way I am close to these 9 guys.



The crazy thing is people say we can choose our friends, but we can't choose family. I don't feel like I chose them. At this point (and for a long time) they are family.



As I approach another birthday, they will do their best to be present or at the very least call and wish me well. We've been singing out of tune for years and nobody has walked out. From the arguments and fights, we've always been there for each other.



Maybe this song isn't appropriate...now that I think about it.

Maybe the song should be "We Are Family"

No comments:

Post a Comment