Sunday, September 6, 2009

Outside Influence

Buzz of the Day

Happy holidays to all. I've been thinking about this topic for a while, but I didn't know how to put it into words: Are there people who are directly/indirectly affecting your life, but they have no idea? Normally it's one of friend's boyfriend/girlfriend. They put this person through so much drama, that it affects your relationship with your friend. Well, I have one that is slightly different. My mother-in-law is dating someone and I have to hear about every time he does something, because my mother-in-law tells my wife.

He seems like a decent guy. I've met him several times. But now, I don't really like the guy! He's made some critical comments about me to my mother-in-law. Nothing too bad. I figure, he's an old guy, and that's what old people do. They question things, so it never bothered me. But when he says things or does things that upset my wife's mom, then I have a problem. Because my wife hears about it, and then I have to hear about it.

I saw him a few weeks ago and I tried to be polite, And I was. But I think he felt some of the resentment that I have for him. This guy has no idea of the crap I have to hear about because of him. And more importantly, my wife's mom is s wonderful person and I don't like when she's not being taken care of.

How do you treat someone when you know things about them that you shouldn't? We all are far from perfect, so you can't hold that against them. But once you know something, how can you act like you don't? I don't know if there really is a right answer.

I understand that I'm flawed. Trust me. I beat myself up all the time. I guess the bottom line is this: I will do my best to treat everyone with respect, because I make mistakes every day. As long as they show respect to me and my loved ones, that's all one can ask for. You don't know what people do behind closed doors, and if you do know... it's okay. As long as they're not abusing people, killing, or committing some other crime, I'm going do my best to be cool.

We shouldn't be upset about who others are dating, it's they're choice. If they are okay with it, so be it. I have my own home to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment