Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What is Friendship Worth?

Buzz of the Day

What sort of thing can end a friendship? Money? Women? What about accusations?

We have basically one neighbor in our apartment building. Just so happens that my wife and our neighbor went to the same high school. She seems like a nice girl. Her and my wife didn't remember each other from school, but they had mutual friends.

They started to become close that she asked my wife to check in on her kitten while she went out of town. My wife went into our neighbor's apartment to feed the kitten and when she had packages (she always has something coming from online shopping) my wife would put them in the kitchen.

Everything went well the first time, but the second time she asked my wife to check on "Annabelle," there was a certain package that never came. UPS told our neighbor that the package was left at the apartment...So she asked my wife about it. My wife didn't see a package, and was pretty offended by the question.

Can you blame our neighbor for asking? I don't think so. Can you blame my wife for being offended? Nope....So where do we go from here?

Well, a pretty uncomfortable meeting anytime they meet in the hallway. It's obvious things are not the same, but how does one repair this relationship? It takes one person to apologize. One person to say, "Hey we should talk." But if the relationship didn't get a chance to really grow, so now, it's nothing. There wasn't enough history. The foundation wasn't strong enough. No more invites to the bar. No more visits to see how things are. And definitely no more checking on Annabelle.

Are you being the stubborn one in broken friendship? Are you able to repair things with a call, but too proud to do so? We've been here for just over a year, so the bond between my wife and our neighbor hadn't been created.

But we treat family and good friends that way sometimes, and those bonds are from 10's of years.

I guess the question is: What's it worth to you?

BTW, my wife didn't steal her package. And no I don't know what ever happened...LOL

1 comment:

  1. Friendships are very important. It takes a lot of work to maintain them, but it is important to do so. I have one such friend who reminds me of this all the time. Because of him I am trying to make changes in how I treat my friends a keep them solid. Sometimes our friends are closer to us than family. I'm finding that we should not take our relationships for granted. Though we may get busy with life affairs, we must realize that relationships, especially those ones that are dear to us, need to be apart of life affairs.

    ReplyDelete