Monday, August 31, 2009

This One's for You

Buzz of the Day

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. We hear that all the time. But it's tough not to. There are only so many hours in a day. When it comes to doing things for ourselves, many times those things are put on the back burner.

The other day I had a pretty tough day at work. Frustrated by some things that were going on, I left pretty unhappy. Fortunately for me, I was on my way to my networking group (Shout out to Greenmen Group). It is a group that I started close to a year ago. We are there to share resources, use each other as a sounding board for ideas, and be active in community service projects. We have been very careful about not putting the cart before the horse. "Baby steps" is the term I use frequently. The foundation has to be strong, and I feel very good about where it's going.

This group is something that started from an idea. Something that has developed into something that all of the members are excited about. That's a good feeling. If this were not the day I had a meeting, I could have come home and had a terrible evening. Shoot, I could have waken up on the wrong side of the bed the following day (Don't act like I'm the only one who work does that to from time to time). Diversify. You need other projects besides work, because work will take over you life if you let it. As you all know, those people you report to at work will have no problem with your life revolving around them.

I leave work typically around 5 (Usually a little later). Depending on the day, I will go to sleep about 10pm or so. I have 5 hours between when I leave work and when I go to sleep. To go home and complain or pout about work is a waste of time. Pull out that to-do list, find a hobby, or find a group or club. Get some balance in your life.

To finish my story: After our meeting, a friend and I met our significant others at a fashion show (Shout out to Femilia). One of the designers is a girl that we went to school with. It was a regular old weeknight, but we turned it into our night. We did things that we wanted to do and gave ourselves some time.

When I returned to work the next day, I had a better perspective. Although it seems like life and death, most of the time it is not.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the baby steps as u put it, life is hard but you do have to stop and smell the roses sometimes. I believe if you live life by faith and bring ur fam and friends in close it makes it a better day ;) Good job on the Blog Buddy. GH

    ReplyDelete