Monday, June 29, 2009

The Customer

Buzz of the Day

The customer is not always right. There I said it! We as sales professionals work really hard to earn business. Those of us who have a great product/service can stand behind that.

I am pretty simple in my approach. If I believe we can help, I will give you a call. If we've helped you in the past, I'll give you a call. If you tell me you're interested, I'll give you a call. If you tell me to call you back on a particular day at a particular time, I'll do just that.

All I ask of you is to show some courtesy. If you've changed your mind, it's okay, just let me know. If the request didn't get approved, it's okay, just let me know.

I'm frustrated (didn't know if you could tell) with a particular account. I don't want to get myself in trouble so I'll be careful how I put this. I don't know who's reading this blog.... : )

I bent over backwards to earn this person's business. He gave me his word that he'd be available for a conference call to move the training opportunity forward. He stood me up. Not only me, but others from the New Horizons team. He probably thinks that it's okay because he's the customer. (FYI, he finally responded via email with a very weak excuse). I am not okay with that.

We are professionals! I'm not sending crazy spam emails, or sending letters tricking anyone in to calling me back. At the very least, this dude could have called and said, " I can't make the conference call." Simple as that. But he'll expect me to call and kiss his behind because he's the customer.

Now I may kiss a little behind every now and then (shocker I know), but not that dude.

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Period. He was absolutely wrong. If he's a decision maker for this organization, he should have more respect for other people's time. Now, if I was to call him and communicate my disappointment, then I'd be wrong? We all have a job to do. Please understand that. Maybe I'm different. If I get a sales call, I'll let the person speak their peace. If I walk into the mall, I'm never rude because they have a job to do. Do me a favor: If you inquired about some product/service and receieved a call. Then you changed your mind. Then the salesperson has called, but you've begin avoiding the calls. Call that person back. Heck, send the an email. That's all I ask people!

No comments:

Post a Comment