Friday, June 19, 2009

Living for the weekend...

Buzz of the Day

Hello again. I really need to write at least once a day! I'm such a scatter brain, that I have all these thoughts and then I lose them. I always feel better after I blog too. It's like a relief.

I think about life and I realize why I love sports so much. Mentally, I need a break! Sports is my opportunity to exhale and be entertained. I love the competition, the strategy, the adjustments...

That's life...you have this great game plan. You're going to go to school, study hard, graduate, and get this outstanding position with this fortune 500 company.

Then life happens, and you need money for school so you start working more hours, they promote you to manager so you work more hours, you meet a girl at the manager conference in St. Louis (I don't know why I chose St. Louis, just follow along please), and she gets pregnant. You move from Ohio to St. Louis to be with her, but she already has a boyfriend. (They were on and off: you met her when they were off , but by the time you move all your things there, they're on again). So then you find a job there in St. Louis...and 6 years have passed. Damn!

No college degree, no job that you can see yourself in for the next 30 years, and...that's when these game-time adjustments kick in. Life doesn't have to go exactly like you planned it to be considered good. You just have to make the correct adjustments. That was why I love coaching basketball and I love life: it's all about adjusting...like a chess game. Or a basketball game.

When I was a freshmen in high school, I was in the locker room before a basketball game and my coach gave us the game plan, "Ok, I want us to win the jump ball, dribble down the court, run our play and score. Then I want us to set up in our defensive trap and steal the ball. I want us to run our play and score again. After that I want us to protect our lead." I promise you guys that this fool, our freshmen basketball coach said that (or something very close to that). It sounds good, but it's not realistic.

  • Be flexible when life throws you a curveball.
  • Be ready for your next opportunity.
  • Be thankful that God is giving you another day to correct your mistakes and make adjustments from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment