Monday, August 24, 2009

Get Out of Your Comfort Zone Part 1

Buzz of the Day

Church. Religion. There is nothing that divides people more. I do not attend church often, and I plan on changing that. Don't worry, I won't start preaching to you guys...Well, no more than I already do. LOL. It is a dynamic that I want to touch on this week. This will be a perspective that many of you can relate to. Enjoy!

A very good friend of mine is a preacher. He has been filling in for a pastor who has been very ill. He basically runs the church like the pastor would. Two weeks ago he invited me out. I didn't go. But yesterday, I decided that I would show up. My wife and I were planning to go, but she was tired (She'd been cooking meals all day for her granny, that's another blog though).

I ended up seeing another friend of mine who said, "I don't think Ezra is preaching today." Oh well, I need to be in church anyway. My friend and I were sitting in the last row, trying to be as low profile as possible. As I looked around the church that was barely half full, I realized that it was woman's day. This particular service will be altered from the normal service.

There was a woman who was quizzing us between songs from the choir. Asking us about different things in the Bible. Of course, I had no idea. And there were those like me or those who just were not interested in answering. At one point, the woman became frustrated and shouted to the half empty church, "Get out of your comfort zones." She was right!

In the middle of this, I was tapped on the shoulder and was pointed towards the pastor's office. My friend was there, letting us know that he was invited to preach at another church today. "Do you guys wanna come?" Ezra asked us. "Sure." So next thing you know, we're riding to another church. Ezra is a young, up and coming preacher and is invited to"preach out" all the time. He had never preached at this particular church, but it didn't seem to phase him. We had a normal conversation on our way there. Similar to any other conversation we'd have. "I'm really glad you came today. You made my day." He said. "I'm just trying to understand the Bible better and get closer to God." I thought. It has just been long past due.

No comments:

Post a Comment