Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What Does It All Really Mean?

Buzz of the Day



I am sad to say that one of my best friends, his mother died this morning. I've been knowing him since third grade and I consider he and his family, my family. His father married my wife and I.



Every now and then, I am reminded of the things that are truly important to me.

I'm so serious all the time. I take my job seriously. I take my friendships seriously. I am aware of the responsibility that I have when I make certain commitments and I am very serious about fulfilling the obligations that I make. There are people that slack on their job. People who are not serious about life.

I'm not saying I have a problemwith those who are not serious about life. To each his/her own. I just wonder why I'm so serious all the time.



Sometimes I think about my job and how insignificant it is. I sell training, education. I equip people with tools that they need to be more efficient in their job. I'm not selling snake oil. I know people are benefiting from my consultation. But it aint exactly curing cancer or fighter world hunger.

When I think of death, I think of things that people would say and/or do if they knew today would be their last day. There's that balance: Living for today,but making sure you are prepared if you happen to make it to tomorrow. If both ideas are the extreme, I am definitely closer to the "making sure you are prepared for tomorrow" idealogy. I need to get closer to the middle. I need to enjoy being young and brilliant. I need to make sure my wife is enjoying being my wife. I need to set the foundation for our future without sacrificing my present. Hmmm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Farris Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment