Sunday, November 6, 2011

Do Your Homework

Baxter's Buzz - 2 Months of Buzz - #54


I really enjoy people. I can small talk and chat it up with the best on em'. I believe 99 percent of people can find at least one thing in common. Most of us interact along the lines of the commonalities. I've always been drawn to people that have their own opinion. I love being challenged AS LONG as you can back up your view. Intelligent conversations helps you grow.


There's a guy at work who I owe a lot to. See, when you grow up poor and black, you're expected to be a democrat. The left side of the isle is where my loyalties were. This guy that I work with is a hard line, right winger. His problem was, and is, he doesn't have much reason behind his views, besides that was all he knew. He uses the same arguments that Republicans have been using forever. I didn't respect his views because you couldn't reason with him. There would be things that I'd agree with him on, but he'd never agree with anything that appeared to be a liberal view. He forced me to research my own views because of his ignorance.


I realized that many of us are in that same ignorant boat. We do and say what everyone around us does and says. No longer will I be in that boat. We need to be responsible for the words that come out of our mouth. And just because Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olberman says it, doesn't make it so. We're better off saying nothing than repeating what we here on tv like a parrot.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Bax. Those of us who are Christians are a bit more right wingers than we think we are. Justice Thomas is often called an Uncle Tom or the antithesis of the late great Thurgood Marshall. This is because of his party affiliation more than his decision/law making. Oftentimes, and I would dare say, most of the time people vote the same way their folks did/do. I'm determined the keys to unlock my handcuffs to any political party is knowledge.

    ReplyDelete