Monday, November 21, 2011

New Gig

Baxter's Buzz - 2 Months of Buzz - #40


As I think about my next career move, I have no real anxiety. I'm excited at the chance, and very much looking forward to what's next. I remember starting this current job and nobody really speaking to me. It was actually kinda funny. I figured that salespeople came and went so quickly there, it didn't make much sense to get familiar with someone who was probably on their way out. My wife and I actually joked about how I couldn't even get a "God bless you" when I sneezed. Its a room full of cubicles for goodness sake! Ah, the good ole' days.


I've always been friendly and never really took the blatant behavior personally. Actually, when folks did start to speak to me, I wished most of them had never said one word. The sales team is much more friendly now than when I started over 3 years ago. I'd like to think that part of that is because of me. I've always extended myself to the new people. But also, the current team isn't full of jerks like it once was. Just a few. Hey, it wouldn't be sales without a few know-it-all, "I'm better than you", jerks.


The amount of money someone makes doesn't impress me. I'm impressed with genuine people that have thoughts and views that I share and those who have much different thoughts, but can communicate those respectfully. If I ever decide to run a business, I will encourage a friendly environment and will not tolerate pompous a**holes, regardless of how many widgets they sell per quarter. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. I will encourage teamwork, camaraderie, and I'll focus on mentoring and building leaders from within. I guess that's all I have to say about that.


I want to say thank you to all of those who continue to check out the blog. It really means a lot. I am proud of myself for posting everyday and I love the fact that you guys actually take the time to read it.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new gig. Appreciate you welcoming me in when I started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dude! We came into the trenches together! I'm gonna miss you, and miss making you feel awkward with my randomness, lol :-) - Alicia

    ReplyDelete