Monday, November 14, 2011

How does this affect me?

Baxter's Buzz - 2 Months of Buzz - #47


When we hear bad news or good news for that matter, we eventually (some of us sooner than later) think about how this is going to affect us. Is it selfish? Definitely. Is it wrong? I don't think so. We're naturally self centered so there are no surprises there.


As I sat in class today, I learned about the growing disparity between the rich and poor. I think about how much money is enough. I wonder what the "haves" think about the "have nots". Most of them couldn't care less. They're too concerned with themselves, like we all are.


If my wife is going through something that is difficult, I'm concerned. I'm also thinking, "Doesn't she know I don't need this right now". If anyone says that haven't had that thought enter their brain, I'd almost call them a liar, but instead I'll say "Good for them".


I heard some news from a dear friend of mine today. I will keep their family in my thoughts and prayers and I WILL NOT worry about myself tonight. But tomorrow I'll be thinking about how my friend's news affects me. Although I feel a bit of guilt by saying this, it doesn't deny it is a true statement. I'm human. I can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment