Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The One That Got Away

Baxter's Buzz - 2 Months of Buzz - #58


There are times when we all ask the "what if" question. "What if I wasn't chasing after that bozo and gave him a chance?" "What if I would have paid her more attention?" Some of us have those thoughts every now and then. And some of us kick ourselves every day because we feel like we blew an awesome opportunity.


A good friend of mine was telling me about a mistake she felt she made years ago in college. A guy who was there for her all the time, but she ended up dating this more "bad boy" type. She eventually married someone else, and now is divorced. Her path has crossed with her neglected friend from yesteryear. Now what? "Bax, what do I even say?" She begs me for the right words.


Sometimes I think about the mistakes that I made. Neglecting good girls. I've also been on the other side of that coin. Prior to marrying my wife, I spoke with a woman that I dated. I thought about the women that I neglected and poured a lot into this particular woman, almost trying to make my past right by treating my current lady "extra" good. It didn't work. We were at two different stages in life and she neglected me. Karma is a bitch, huh? Anyway, when I spoke to her, she apologized for the way she treated me. By this time I understood and accepted why it didn't work.


I wish I had the chance to say my apologies, but I'm sure they're doing just fine without it. I am very blessed with the wife I have, by the way. She was too good for me and I knew it. I thank God that she was still available when I finally screwed my head on straight!


So as my friend tries to reconnect with her college friend, struggling to find the words to say, appreciate your friends, past and present. If you have a chance to correct a mistake, do it. You don't wanna speak of this person in the past tense about the one who got away.

No comments:

Post a Comment