Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thanksgiving Season

Baxter's Buzz - 60 - 2 Months of Buzz - #57


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the food associated with it. I love the Detroit Lions games. I love the Fall season. Did I mention the food? While I lived in Kalamazoo, I spent two Thanksgivings with a really good friend and her mom. I remember not being able to go home and feeling disappointed the first year. The second year? I was looking forward to Thanksgiving in K-zoo.


I think about being home with a plate of collard greens, dressing, and ending the night with family and some sort of dark liquor in my hand. When I was still in high school, a couple of my friends spent every Thanksgiving with me and my family. They actually helped me become closer with my family because I appreciated my friends feeling comfortable enough with me. "Here comes Baxter and his entourage." Is what my brother would quip. "Hide the food!"

Last thanksgiving was unlike any other. My ex sister-in-law was shot and killed by her boyfriend last year. I become sad when I think about how that whole thing went down. I think about her and my brother's children, not having their mom around anymore. There are many cowards in this world. I believe that we all should go and seek therapy. You don't have to be "crazy" to see a therapist. As a matter of fact, I've thought about seeing someone myself recently. If you have these strong feelings and you're having a hard time dealing with them, don't try to drink/smoke/drug them away. Go see the pastor at your church, a good friend. Somebody!

I've written a lot about relationships lately. They are important to me because, what else do we have?

What are you thankful for? We shouldn't just ask ourselves during this time of year. We should ask this everyday. And thank God for our answers.

1 comment:

  1. I have spent so many thanksgivings overseas it lost it's meaning for a while. But this year I am counting by blessings and being thankful for many things such as my family, and friends.

    Deon Carson

    ReplyDelete