Friday, November 4, 2011

Social Mobility Part 1

Baxter's Buzz - 2 Months of Buzz - #56


Well, here it is. This is my fifth day in a row blogging. I haven't done this since I first started this. Discipline is what I struggle with.

When I was younger I didn't have anyone really pushing me in any direction. Part of me is really disappointed by that. Sometimes I feel like I have underachieved because of that.


I wrote my cousin a pretty harsh letter a few years ago because I was upset that he was in prison and not here to help me along. I gave a presentation in class recently about how hard it is to move up the social class ladder in the U.S. Whenever you start to talk about how many people are at a huge disadvantage, you have people that believe that "hard work" and "not being lazy" will get you ahead in life. Not so fast, my friends. It is never that simple. There are exceptions to the rules and I am proud that I happen to be one of them. There was a lot that had to go right for me to be where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment